https://jellydonutsinhartfordconnecticut.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Dead Flowers Rolling Stones


Since I was about 10 years old, I've been a fan of the Rolling Stones. While I've always liked the Beatles, the Stones have always better represented the whole rock and roll experience to me.

 Although I've heard it in reference to other people, I would think that if you looked-up the word "cool" in a dictionary, there would be a photos of Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

Dead Flowers was originally released on the Rolling Stones' "Sticky Fingers" album, which featured an actual working, pants zipper. Without fail, every time I hear Dead Flowers, I think of an older woman who turned me on to the song in the 1970s. It reminds me of how quickly the years go by.

Of all the fantastic songs the Rolling Stones have released, "Dead Flowers" is one of my very favorites. Although the lyrics and topic are pretty dark and not the most optimistic, the country-tinged vocals and driving refrain are quite memorable.

There is actually a Wikipedia page for the Dead Flowers song. On that page, Mick Jagger is quoted as saying that Dead Flowers is a country song. Interestingly, in addition to great guitar work by Mick Taylor and Keith Richards, Mr. Jagger plays acoustic guitar and supplies lead vocals on the song. The song's excellent piano work is provided by Ian Stewart.

Sticky Fingers was an enormously successful album, and the working pants-zipper was quite controversial when the album was released in April 1971. 

The Stones' "Brown Sugar" song is the lead song on Sticky Fingers. Some of the other songs on the album include Moonlight Mile, Sister Morphine, I Got The Blues and Wild Horses.

While I do own quite a few Rolling Stones albums, I don't think Sticky Fingers is one of their stronger efforts. Their 1969 album, Let It Bleed, to me, is a more upbeat and all-around better assortment of songs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Outdated Potato Crisps at the Gas Station Mini-Mart

Pringles are everywhere these days. Whether it be at a large supermarket, small bodega, gas station, pharmacy or online retailer, there'...

Ten Minutes